Monday, June 3, 2013

Proof of God's Love

The church I attend on Sunday evenings is sending a family to Papua New Guinea for the next 9 months to explore the possibility of missions work in that area.  They are the first missionaries this congregation has sent out.  Last night was the last Lord's Day they will be spending in the country until they return.  The young man preached the sermon last night.  He discussed the importance of missions work, particularly Pauline missions work (as opposed to Timothy or Titus).  He cited many reasons why missions work is important, such as the Great Commission and others like it.  One particular verse caught my attention.  Matthew 24:14:
And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
 Think about it.  The gospel is to be shared with all nations, and then, not before, the end will come.  Sure, maybe every country has heard the gospel.  Certainly every big city has.  But does God really care about political boundaries created by man?  I don't believe so.  No, I believe that in the Bible "nations" mean people groups.  Languages, tribes, cultures.  Do you know how many indigenous languages are spoken in Indonesia?  737.   According to Joshua Project, there are 783 people groups in Indonesia alone.  At least 227 people groups have never heard the word of God.  That's just in Indonesia.
Over 7,000 people groups have never heard the name of Jesus.
Out of the 7,000 languages in the world today, only about 500 have the whole Bible translated into it.  There are over 200 million people who cannot read the Bible because it is not in their language.
I just can't believe these numbers.  We have had 2000 years in which to share the good news, and yet here we stand.  Unless we do something, 200 million people will die and never see Heaven simply because they never knew.  We are responsible for that.
I had been feeling somewhat discouraged recently.  Last night's sermon motivated me.
But, let's face it.  How often do we hear a powerful sermon and go home and wake up Monday morning and become discouraged again?  After all, I can't go to Papua New Guinea or Indonesia today and give them God's word.
I was reading a new blog post on the Rebelution and I found this:
It’s our job to pray, send, and go to reach the unreached peoples of the world and meet people’s physical needs as well.
It reminded me what my passion is and what my calling is and what my responsibility as a Christian is. I may not be able to go across the world today, but if it's God's Will then one day I will go and I will share His love.  Right now I need to be preparing for that day.  I need to be ready to go when called because as a soldier for God's army I need to be ready to follow my King into battle when He calls me to do so.  And I cannot go to battle if I'm not well trained.
I think God used the blog post this morning to remind me of what He asks of me.  His love won't let me slip through the cracks.  He will train me to fight for Him every day from now until eternity and today is just one example among millions of the ways he has saved me from myself.  Who can deny the power of His love?

No comments:

Post a Comment