Tuesday, June 11, 2013

School

School is just about over for me.  Very soon I will be a senior and then it's off to college in just over a year.  I think I'm one of the most excited juniors in my school in terms of my willingness to leave high school behind.  But that's a whole different story.
It's interesting to look back over the years.  When I was younger I really enjoyed learning.  I remember spending my entire summers working through long lists of books and counting down the days until the first day back to school.  Up until high school, I loved going to school.  In fact, less than a week would go by and I would already be wishing for school to start again.  I can't remember a single summer until after 8th grade where this wasn't true.
There are a couple of reasons why this changed after 8th grade.  One was that I started working and traveling in the summer more often so I had less time just sitting around the house.  Another is that the high school starts about two weeks before the middle school.  Not to mention that with marching band I've actually been around the school for a good two weeks before the first day.  The biggest reason was probably my dread for starting high school.  And since then, my general dislike for the high school curriculum.
Regardless of the reasons, I've always been excited, even just a little, about starting school the following fall.  I'm sure that come August I'll be more than enthusiastic about starting my senior year.  But right now, for the first time in my life, I am really looking forward to slowing down, reading, and unwinding from this year.  Maybe it's because junior year was so hard (which it was), or maybe it's because as my faith grows, I start to understand the necessity to embrace every moment I'm alive and use every moment to grow even more.
Either way, school is basically done, and although I have a very busy summer, I plan to use all my time following where God leads me.

No comments:

Post a Comment